Monday, November 29, 2010

Archetypes in the Godfather

After the section of The Godfather we saw today in class, I was surprised how much the plot seemed to turn into focusing on Michael. At the beginning of the film, he doesn't seem like an important character at all- rather, the Godfather is the main point of focus.

After he had been shot, however, he has been pushed almost completely out of the plot! The audience has hardly been able to see him, and he hasn't talked at all. Michael, who is a bit of an unknown, ambiguous character, suddenly 'joins in' on family matters (accepting the call?)

There are a number of events which seem to suggest that 'Michael is the hero'- he first rejects his family, then agrees to 'join' it, is mentored, and then receives a 'magical weapon'. If Michael does end up being the 'hero', he will probably play a big part in the plot.

Personally, I'm a little curious as to what becomes of him, though, since apparently he has to go on vacation for a year, and that might mean that he can't become involved in the plot...

5 comments:

  1. I agree that Michael Corleone is the hero of the story (because of the reasons that you have already listed above in your post), but I'll have to disagree with your theory about not seeing Michael again after he "goes on a year-long vacation". I think that we will see more of him because the hero tends to be the main character.protagonist of the story. Maybe we will see more of him running from the law and other rogue Mafia members (Tattaglia family). Since I have not seen this movie before, I could be wrong. I still disagree with your statement about the amount of screen time Michael will get as the movie continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no way. I'm mad. I had a reply all typed out and then the internet fails on me.

    ...anyway, to add to the discussion: you came back a little roughly at my wispy afterthought. It offended me a little.

    I think that even if Michael is shown escaping from enemy families, this "war time" would be mostly action. I don't really feel that the plot would move much (it could, as the "huge battle" section...)

    well, we'll just have to watch and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean to offend you, I was just saying that this film might turn out to be a cliche action/adventure movie, like how the protagonist (or the hero in this case) is introduced to a new world, gets a magic weapon and starts off on his quest (or whatever the story might be about). Where we ended off, was perfect timing for Michael to go off on his adventure, because --it had just begun.

    I am agreeing with you, but I'm disagreeing about your theory: what Ford Coppila might show us about Michael Corleone.

    Don't be offended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agk! I cut myself off...

    Where we ended off, was perfect timing for Michael to start his adventure. Fighting off the other Mafia families and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm...actually, thinking about it, the parting scene did seem a little cliche. and really "this is the end" feeling.

    I wonder, though, if we won't be seeing much of the family anymore once he goes off on his "adventure"?

    I imagine two possibilities... one, things go wrong and he is forced to fight with his family, or two, he leaves and meets new people and problems somewhere else [meaning, not much family screentime- maybe some phone calls here and there...]

    ReplyDelete