Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Scarlet Woman?

We've talked about and looked up a little about her during class, and I've dug for a little background information.

Concerning the Godfather and the Scarlet Woman... Kay Adams seems to be in a red dress in all of the shots of her. All three scenes with her she seems to be wearing a red dress- confirming that there is something going on. This proves that Kay is meant to be "the scarlet woman" in this movie.

I've looked up a little bit more about the scarlet woman. Kay doesn't seem to be that bad of a person, but there is a lot of negative connotation with the scarlet woman. Most sources say that the scarlet woman is basically a prostitute, though one source I found said that Saint John had a vision of this scarlet woman with an inscription of Babylon on her forehead (the scarlet woman is also related to babylon)....and some other things about being drunk with the blood of saints and being the church...a prostitute/false church.

However, this source also says that by around 1700 it just referred to a woman with loose morals.

One very thorough (and religious) source I found states that, in the end, she was burned as a tool of Satan.

I don't know- does Kay have some ulterior motives?
What do you think? innocent lack of morales or ...this deeper meaning?

6 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that she is either working for the Tattaglia family or she will end up creating another plot for the movie. Maybe she wants to get romantically involved with Michael for more complicated purposes. Then, there is also a chance that we are over thinking Kay's character. Maybe she's just a character who will never show up again. Then again, considering the red-dress theory, there's something funny going on behind the scenes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. er...did my background research help? 8D i was hoping to clear things up a little for people, and myself.

    but i agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe she could be the scarlet woman for the Corleones, she seems not to have any problem with the nature and manner of the Corleones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if we'll run into some trouble when she (kay) finds out Michael got married while he was away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to agree with Conrad. She is effectively getting into bed with the devil, from a Judeo-Christian perspective. She's not so much of a temptress as a woman with no morals. Check out the name Hecate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This allusion is very confusing for me. I think that Kay Adams wore red dresses because she wanted to attract Michael's attention as well as try to be accepted by the Corleone family. When Michael returned from Sicily, Kay Adams was not wearing a red dress; just some dull grey clothing. I think this represents how she lost her hope of meeting Michael again. My idea seems incomplete as of now but I will add on it.

    ReplyDelete